Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Day 24


Date: July 4
Mileage: 36
From: 15 mi W of Wisdom, MT
To: Jackson, MT


Happy 4th of July! We spent our afternoon/night in Jackson, MT (population 38). There were pretty good fireworks considering the town size. Some local kids put on some fireworks after the “real” fireworks, and they were actually pretty good. It’s a cute gossip-filled little town. There’s a motorcycle festival where we’re staying (The only place to stay—Jackson Hot Springs Lodge), so there are (slightly) more than 38 people.

We ate lunch in Wisdom. I had a cheeseburger! I know, it’s shocking; I actually ordered meat in a restaurant. It was pretty decent, all 1/3 pound of it. I really worked up an appetite for some beef as we were riding past all of the free-range cattle today. I was just thinking to myself “Mmmm…hamburgers.”

This morning we checked out the Nez Perce battlefield at Big Hole. It was a pretty interesting/informative museum/video. It did an excellent job of presenting things from the side of the Native Americans, something that is sometimes lacking.

Altitude is rough.

Oh, and mosquitoes in Montana SUCK, quite literally. At 3pm, nowhere near water, in Big Hole Valley, going 15 mph, we were being bitten through multiple layers of clothing! Bastards.


They build this teepee a few times a day as a demonstration at the Battlefield...

No comments: