Monday, July 9, 2007

Day 29


Date: July 9
Mileage: 40
From: Madison Junction, WY (in Yellowstone)
To: Grant Village, WY (in Yellowstone)


Today we did Yellowstone! It was incredibly tiring for the amount of riding we did.

We saw a bunch of little geysers and “springs,” and we got to see Old Faithful erupt twice. Old Faithful wasn’t the most spectacular thing we saw—it is what it is. My favorite thing was the Grand Prismatic Spring—it was breathtaking.

We went on this 3.5 mile bike path which SUCKED! Our bikes were not intended to go on that type of loose gravel. It was both nerve wracking and physically draining. It did allow us to go see Fairy Falls and see Grand Prismatic from an overlook (way better than from the walkways, since it’s so steamy and big). We also hiked to two falls—I think that was almost harder than biking.

After Old Faithful, we had to do two big climbs and cross the Continental Divide twice…wow was that tiring. At least we were fueled by the frozen yogurt from the visitor center. Lauren and I purchased children’s hats for really cheap from the gift shop. We had been wishing we had hats the whole time we were hiking in the sun.



Scorching sun in our eyes! This is near Fairy Falls. It's sad how so many of the trees in Yellowstone are dead from fires in the 80s


Fairy Falls



Some sort of rodent thing I spotted near Fairy Falls



Grand Prismatic from an overlook view. Beautiful lunch spot!



Hot springs are bubbling up everywhere!







More pretty hot springs, viewed from walkways


Lauren had a thorn in her butt. I really offended some Amish/Mennonite ladies by helping her out with that problem.


I don't think any of us would really recommend hiking on rocks in bike shoes with cleats. We found Crocs or Mions slightly better...



Another falls


Crowds of people gather to see Old Faithful erupt



Thar she blows!

No comments: