Sunday, June 10, 2007

Day 0


Mileage: 0
From: Portland, OR
To: Newport, OR


Today was our first full day on the west coast! Tonight we’re staying in a yurt for only $21 at a campground in Newport, and it’s pretty nice. We got into Portland late last night, and made spectacles of ourselves assembling our bikes in the baggage claim area. Everything made it in one piece, so we’re off to a good start!

Our first “good omen” was on the way to BWI airport. The rearview mirror of my mom’s van fell off. She claims it was telling us to “never look back.” I feel incredibly lucky to have such great people to do this trip with, and that the planning is finally over and we’re actually starting. It’s a reality that hasn’t quite sunk in—2.5 months is a long time. I am rather nervous that I haven’t been training and I won’t be in good enough shape, but I’m excited all the same.

We ate lunch at the coolest little place today in Portland, the “Cameo Café.” It was a Korean + country breakfast fusion place. We each had a different “Sue Gee” special, and let me tell you…Sue Gee (who I think was the lady that kept heckling us) was quite a character. It was a hoot, and a ton of yummy food. Definitely worth the trip if you’re ever in Portland.

After lunch, we drove to some very impressive waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge and did some light hiking. I guess the most famous of the falls was Multnomah. We drove along a river on the “scenic area” road in Washington so that we could say we had been to Washington.

We made it back to Portland to see Powell’s, world renowned large bookstore. I purchased a journal for the trip, but man do I wish I could carry more with me. That place was amazing. Afterwards, we ate dinner at Noodles & Company, which was delicious as always. Another plus of Oregon is that it doesn’t seem to have sales tax. I think Portland would be a great place to live, even if it is a bit “granola,” as some would say.

We drove down to Newport (where we are currently staying). Tomorrow we do our first real biking, although we did bike from the airport to the Travelodge (which wasn’t as easy as it sounds). We’ll start with a ceremonial wheel-dip in the Pacific Ocean. ☺


Assembling our bikes in the baggage claim area at 1AM PST



Multnomah Falls


Crossing into Washington State


The Pacific crashing into the rocks (and some silly people getting soaked in the freezing cold)


Inside our spacious yurt

No comments: