Mileage: 54
From: Riggins, ID
To: Grangeville, ID
On the way out of Riggins we stopped at a fruit stand the raft guides told us about. We sampled some pluots, and they were amazing. I had never seen them before, but they’re a cross between a plum and an apricot. We bought a couple, along with some potatoes, and Dad and I got smoked salmon and a tomato for lunch.
Today we tackled White Bird Hill, our biggest/longest mountain pass since McKenzie, after a 30 mile morning getting there. Today was HOT, but we waited out the hottest part of the day in “The Silver Dollar,” a restaurant in the town of White Bird. The lady there was very bicycler-friendly and let us relax as long as we wanted.
I didn’t think White Bird Hill was too bad, but I really don’t think they should refer to that large a mountain as a “hill.” It’s sort of insulting. Dad asked when I became such a mountain goat, but I guess something just finally clicked. Climbing seems to have gotten a lot easier for me.
We ate a restaurant dinner in Grangeville, and we’re camping in their Lions Club Park. We all had salmon, potatoes, and salad. Since we didn’t even cook dinner tonight, we each carried two potatoes over White Bird hill for absolutely no reason. After all the weight-cutting we’ve tried to do, it’s really pretty ridiculous. But we wanted potatoes while we were in Idaho!
Looking back toward the town of White Bird, ID (you can sort of see our road snaking around)
One of several breaks (notice one of the MANY previous switchbacks in the background, and the new highway way in the background)
The hills are beautiful in a different way than we've seen before
No comments:
Post a Comment